THE YANGRI HOPE PROJECT:
RESPONDING TO THE DEVASTATING EARTHQUAKE IN NEPAL
We are adopting the village of Yangri in Nepal for immediate relief work, for reconstruction, and for long-term partnership. This is how HimalayanLife is responding to the double whammy of the two powerful earthquakes in Nepal.
Yangri (N27° 58’ 32” E85° 38’ 04”) is situated centrally in the district of Sindhupalchowk, which has been so terribly devastated by both earthquakes. The village has 80 houses (all of which have been destroyed by the earthquake) and a population of about 500. 37 villagers lost their lives in the ruins of their houses during the quake.
PHASE I: RELIEF
Food and temporary shelter: assuring availability of sufficient supply of basic staple foods and tarps for temporary housing. Delivery by helicopter or Jeep. Total cost US$ 10,000
PHASE II: REBUILDING THE INFRASTRUCTURE
- repair drinking water supply system. Cost US$ 9,000
- clear away the rubble of the school (potentially with a church-team coming in from Switzerland), commencing May 21st.
- rebuilding the school, thereby applying earthquake-resistant construction methods – US$ 15’000
- repair or replace the heavily damaged suspension bridge, leading to the village (I hope to get this done by Helvetas, the Swiss Aid program which has a special focus on Nepal) – US$ 25,000
- repair and re-commission the Micro-Hydro-Power-plant (28kW)- US$ 26,000
- increase the capacity of the Micro-Hydro-Power-plant to 56 kW (the plant is to supply energy to a total of 17 villages and provide light to 1,000 people) – US$ 56,000
PHASE III: REBUILDING RESIDENTIAL HOMES
- Home Reconstruction Assistance: every family to receive a loan of US$ 1,000 for rebuilding their home – $ 100,000
- Earthquake Resistant Structures: providing every home free-of-cost with the necessary materials/brackets to make the village-house-design significantly more earthquake resistant. We are working on a design currently. Our cost is approximately US$ 250.00 per house, total US$ 25,000
PHASE IV: LOCAL JOB AND INCOME GENERATION
- Carpentry/Lumber Workshop: social enterprise specializing in earthquake resistant framing. No lack of business there… Also offering vocational training opportunitiues for youths in the region. Investment: $ 25,000 I expect the enterprise to make a profit right from the start, to be re-invested into the education for socio-economically marginalized youths in the region.
PHASE V: EDUCATION (as the project’s anchor in the community)
- Government School Assistance: providing 3 teachers to the Yangri Government School, in a bid to significantly improve the level of basic education in grades 1-4.
- Yangri Academic Center (YAC): non-government boarding school providing quality education, all the way from kindergarten to grade 12. The school is to serve the entire region. Initial investment will be US$ 135,000, including land purchase, construction of school building and boarding facilities. I expect the school to be profitable as of its third year of operation. Profits will be re-invested and also used for bursaries for children of poor socio-economic background.
FUNDRAISING FOR YANGRI:click here