Himalayan Life Plastics emerged after observing our Street Kitchen. There, we were creating relationships with the street kids as they moved through the hardship of detox into a place of responsibility. However, many of the boys did not have formal schooling. Because of this, they were still facing difficulty in transitioning into society. They found that no one was willing to give them jobs or to take them on as apprentices. They needed training and they needed support. For this reason, the Himalayan Life Plastic Recycling Plant social enterprise was born.
Plastic Recycling Plant – The Short:
- Nepal’s only recycling plant for PET-plastic bottles
- Located in Pokhara, Nepal
- Recycling 60 million bottles per year (2019)
- A social enterprise with more than 70 employees and over 250 collectors
- Producing highest quality plastic granulate for bottle production
- Making a positive impact on Nepal’s economy and environment
- Home to the Himalayan Life Vocational Training Program with up to 12 trainees
- Incorporated as P.LTD with the Department of Industry, Government of Nepal
- Project partner and supervision: HL-Switzerland
Read more about our Himalayan Life Plastics Vocational Training program that teaches practical skills to former street boys.
Plastic Recycling Plant – The Long:
This initiative is the only plastic bottle recycling plant in Nepal. Above all, it uses its platform to give life to street children and teens while lifting them out of poverty.
Himalayan Life Plastics recycles 60 million bottles a year, while providing employment for 70 staff and over 250 collectors and suppliers. This triple bottom line initiative successfully completes many prime objectives. Firstly, it alleviates poverty. Secondly, it stewards the environment. Lastly, it provides profits that go back into protecting, nurturing and educating disadvantaged children in the Himalayas through responsible investments. It is a story of transformation and hope – a business for good!
Photos courtesy of Peter Schaeublin (www.peterschaeublin.com)