Tour De Himalayan Life
Cycling From Project to Project in Nepal
Last year, 6 cyclists rode 600km over 6 days in the Himalayas to raise funds for the various projects run by Himalayan Life. On this epic journey, the team witnessed how much it meant to each of the children and staff that the cyclists would choose to visit on bicycles, regardless of bad roads, dust and harsh elements.
On October 14th to 28th, Himalayan Life’s founder and CEO Daniel Burgi will take on the challenge of cycling 1,000 km over 14 days to visit each of the Himalayan Life project sites in Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara, Ulleri and Yangri.
We are calling this initiative Tour De Himalayan Life.
Daniel explains why he feels called to make this journey in the Himalayas:
“When doing the Altitude ride last year I realized just how much it meant for everyone that I would take the trouble to visit on a bicycle, regardless of bad roads, dust and much inconvenience. People felt honoured, seen and heard, deemed important, and inspired. And thus, the idea for the Tour de Himalayan Life was born! I am committed to touring all the Himalayan Life project sites by bicycle, thereby delivering symbolic checks to assure the project leadership of our ongoing commitment to stand with them.”
This ride will take place in 5 stages. Each of the stages provides an opportunity and time to visit several projects in the Himalayas. And we are extending the invitation to YOU to get involved!
Here is what you need to know:
OPTION 1: Join Daniel in Nepal for one or several of the 5 stages and cycle with him from project to project.
OPTION 2: Travel to Nepal to accompany Daniel in the support vehicle and provide photography or videography services.
OPTION 3: Make a donation to the campaign!
• Kathmandu to Chitwan
• 190km route with mostly paved roads
• 3-day ride with 2 days to visit the Thakaltar home and HL Chitwan programs
• Chitwan to Pokhara
• 150km route with mostly paved roads
• 2-day ride with 2 days to visit the HL Chitwan programs and HL Pokhara programs including our homes for former street children and the plastics recycling plant
• Pokhara to Ulleri, and back to Pokhara
• 110km route with 50% paved and 50% gravel/rough road
• 2-day ride with 3 days to visit the HL Pokhara programs and the Ulleri children’s home
• Pokhara to Kathmandu
• 240km route with 50% paved and 50% gravel/rough road
• 3-day ride with 3 days to visit the HL Pokhara programs and a community hospital in Lamjung
• Kathmandu to Yangri, round trip
• 190km route with 50% paved and 50% gravel/rough road
• 4-day ride with 2 days to visit the Bangdang construction site and the Yangric Academic Centre
WHAT PARTICIPANTS CAN EXPECT:
• 6-10 hours of cycling per day
• Flight costs to Nepal, and roughly $1,000 of in-country cost
• Accommodation in simple hotels
• Heartwarming encounters with Himalayan Life staff and children
• Insights into the Himalayan Life projects
• An inspiring journey
PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE:
• Gravel bicycle
• Good physical fitness
• Spirit of adventure
For all serious inquiries, please click the button below to fill out the participation form!
Still have questions? Reach out to [email protected]