The 2015 earthquakes have caused unimaginable destruction in Nepal. In fact, already before the earthquake, rural communities in Nepal, such as Yangri, had been greatly challenged to re-invent themselves in light of the changing socio-economic landscape.
In short, the future of the Yangri valley rests on solid education for the next generation. Only if good schooling is available for their children, will families truly build their future in the 15 communities comprising the Yangri Valley, rather than migrating to Kathmandu or abroad, facing the uncertainties of foreign labourers.
After the initial relief and rebuilding work in the valley, HimalayanLife has therefore built a regional school in Yangri, the Yangri Academic Centre (YAC). The vision of YAC is for a school with outstanding educational standards and sound pedagogy. A school where teachers are excited about education, where the potential of both the academically talented and challenged students are developed to their fullest. A place where children will discover the sheer joy and excitement of learning.
Yangri Academic Centre (YAC) – The Short:
- Regional School with boarding facilities
- Located in Yangri, Sindupalchowk, Nepal.
- Presently operating 5 grades (lower & upper Kindergarten, Grades 1 to 3)
- Satellite Kindergarten in Ripaar, a remote Sherpa village further up in the Yangri Valley
- Enrollment: 103 children, including 60 children who live in the school dorms
- Staff: 21 staff members (teaching & non-teaching)
- Opened in April 2018
- Incorporated under the Ministry of Education with the Government of Nepal.
- Expansion of the school underway, to add Grades 4 and 5 and Nursery in 2019
- Total Investment for Land and Buildings: CAD 350,000
- Annual operational budget (2018): CAD 137,000
- Project partner and supervision: HL-Switzerland and HL-Canada.
See the latest construction as the second school year of YAC begins!
Yangri Academic Centre (YAC) – The Long:
Yangri Academic Center (YAC)
The vision is for a school with outstanding educational standards and sound pedagogy. A school where teachers are excited about education, where the potential of both the academically talented and challenged students are developed to their fullest. A place where children will discover the sheer joy and excitement of learning. An educational center with model character that will inspire other schools. Students will be equipped for further educational pursuit, be it vocational or academic. Moreover, students will be prepared for being responsible citizens, willing and able to contribute to society and have transformative impact on the nation.
As much as possible, the locals are being involved in the construction and operation of the school: planning and decision-making, and in regards to jobs. In this manner, job opportunities are being created locally, and the people of the Yangri Valley are developing a much needed sense of ownership for YAC. It is, after all, the school for their children, building the future of their region.
Photos courtesy of Peter Schaeublin (www.peterschaeublin.com)